Summer is not far away and one of the alternative destinations to the usual beach is certainly the splendid Lake Garda, a real sea in the mountains where you can relax, have fun, eat well and discover many natural, historical and artistic beauties.
We are talking about the largest Italian lake that bathes three regions, Lombardy, Trentino Alto Adige and Veneto, surrounded by splendid landscapes and very interesting places to visit.
Certainly, it is a lot of fun for children and adults and the opportunity to try various water sports and recreational activities.
Lake Garda and its most beautiful places
Living the lake means enjoying a 360 ° holiday starting from some well-known locations, which have so much to tell their visitors and which are worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.
- Riva del Garda: in Trentino there is Riva del Garda, where the panorama to admire is really amazing given the proximity of the Dolomites. The town directly overlooks the lake and its charming old town creeps along the mountain. Given its historical importance dating back to Roman times, in the main square you can admire the Apponale Tower, the Praetorian Palace and the Town Hall, as well as the Church of Indiavolata in Baroque style.
- Limone sul Garda is one of the most ancient and well-preserved centers located on Lake Garda and is known above all for the production of citrus fruits. Of the latter, the most famous is the Limonaia del Castel dating back to 1700, but the center is also worth seeing with its lanes, squares and ancient fishermen’s houses, located directly on the water.
- A visit to the beautiful Sirmione, dominated by its charming and perfectly preserved ancient castle, is not to be missed. It dominates from a fortress that overlooks the lake and access is via a drawbridge, the only entrance to get to the historic center. Also worth seeing are the splendid villas of this locality, among which the one that was the home of the poet Catullus stands out.
- Located on the final part of the lake, Peschiera del Garda has been a strategic area since ancient times and for this reason it is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are many interesting things to admire, naturally starting from its historic center which winds its way over two islets connected by a bridge. These include the War Memorial, Piazzale Betteloni, Bastone Tognon and the Austrian powder warehouse.
- In the province of Brescia there is Salò, undoubtedly one of the most suggestive places to see on Lake Garda. Rich in history, art and architecture, it first of all offers a spectacular view of the lake itself along the lakefront. We are talking about a pedestrian path that offers a truly unique spectacle over the entire gulf, especially on sunny days, but not only. In the inhabited center there are many important attractions, including the Clock Tower made of stone and plaster, the Palazzo del Podestà, the magnificent Cathedral and the Porta di San Giovanni.
- Desenzano del Garda is one of the most important tourist centers in the area, where there are many hotels, holiday homes and discos, as well as all sorts of places to satisfy the needs of tourists. But certainly, there is no lack of works of historical and artistic importance, such as the Cathedral of Santa Maria Maddalena, the Castle of Desenzano and the Roman Villa and Antiquarium.
Lake Garda in the name of fun, sport and good food
Services offered on the lake
On the largest lake in Italy there is certainly no shortage of the most useful and exclusive services to please the customer. The accommodation facilities are many and able to satisfy everyone’s needs, from the most elegant to the economic ones.
Real family hotels are ready to welcome families, providing large rooms and many basic amenities for children and parents, as well as entertainment and entertainment.
The same goes for those who wish to take their little 4-legged friends on vacation. Also, in this case the facilities to stay are many and with complete services that almost always include a dog sitter service.
There are large areas for vans, dedicated to those who love a freer and cheaper holiday.
Fun and sport on the lake
On the Lake Garda the fun is guaranteed, between theme parks, picnic areas, , gite ed escursioni in moto or by bike. Gardaland, is also the perfect place to give your little ones an unforgettable holiday.
But it does not end here, because there is still much more to do, starting from scuba diving in the waters of the lake and up to extreme sports for the bravest, such as free climbing, canyoning and quad rides through specialized centers.
A taste of the typical products of the lake
And what could be better after a dip in the beautiful “sea in the mountains”, a bike ride or a visit to the magnificent historic centers, than enjoy the typical dishes of the place? To try among the many dishes there is the pike in sauce, the risotto with tench, bigoli with sardines or the excellent carne salada.
All watered with excellent wines, including Bardolino and Amarone di Valpolicella.
Fonte: Lago di Garda