An amazing medieval village overlooking the green valley of the upper Tiber River, it is located in the province of Arezzo, Anghiari is part of the Tuscan Valtiberina (upper Tiber Valley). A valley which forms the eastern border of Tuscany, where it meets the regions of Emilia Romagna, Marche and Umbria.
The angular shape of the old castle (castrum angulare) is probably at the origin of the town’s name(a deriviation of the word angular), although according to another interpretation it derives from the pile of gravel (ammasso di ghiaia in Italian),that accumulated by the Tiber River a thousand years, upon which the historic center is built. A well-fortified structure surrounded by sturdy thirteenth-century walls, it held a strategic position of great importance in the Middle Ages. The aura of mystery made ineffable by the magic of time penetrates the medieval scenes, recalling radiant passion, the heat of battle, and the clashing and clanging of swords.
Church of Sant’Agostino – According to tradition, it was built over a chapel that was originally built in the twelfth century by the Hospitallers of Sant’Antonio, an abbot who passed through this corner of Tuscany following the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett.
Pretorio Palace – Located in the center of the old town, it was part of the fortress and was the residence of the mayor and the vicars of the Florentine Republic starting in 1386
Church of the Badia – Of ancient origin, perhaps rupestrian, it was the village’s first place of worship (built in the ninth century).
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie – Built in the eighteenth century, it has a single nave with a barrel vault and two lateral altars. Inside, there are important Florentine paintings such as L’ultima cena e la Lavanda dei piedi by Antonio Sogliani. Behind the altar you can see the Madonna of mercy, a glazed terracottafrom the workshop of Andrea della Robbia.
Teatro dei Ricomposti – It is located on Baldaccio Square, where the market has been hosted every week on Wednesday since 1388. Built in 1790, it has a beautiful Renaissance-style façade.
Bringoli – It is a traditional dish of the village: thick homemade spaghetti made with water and flour, covered with a sauce made with wild porcini mushrooms gathered in the woods of the Tiber Valley, which can also be substituted with a chianina (beef) meat sauce.
Trade Show Market of the Tiber Valley Crafts – It takes place from 24th April to the 2nd of May, and it is one of the most expected events of the valley.
Palio della Vittoria – It takes place on 29th June.