Chiusa, The taste of old times

 

Located in the province of Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, along the river Isarco, Chiusa derives its name from the narrow natural passage taking shape between the cliff of Sabiona cliff, the Isarco river and the Tinne stream Tinne. Since 1300’s it has been called “Klausen”.
 

 

Dominated by the Sabiona monastery, the territory was already inhabited before Christ. Here, in fact, there are tombs dating back to the Germanic Age. The village preserves its particular medieval structure and walking in the old town centre and in the picturesque alleys, you can breath a special atmosphere that has the taste of old times. Right the same atmosphere that attracted the Romantic artists who arrive in Chiusa to live the medieval dream again. Grapevines, chestnut groves, cliffs, verdant grazing lands and the peculiar small towns are the greatest treasures of this village.

To see

Church of the Apostles – Gothic in style with a single nave, it was built by the master builder-architect Jörg in the latter half of the 1400s.

Former Albergo Agnello (Zum Lamm) – It is an old inn. Passing through the handsome vaulted arcade, you arrive to the first floor and to the “Walther Room,” the favorite meeting place of internationally famous artists in the latter half of the 1800s.

Church of Sant’Andrea – It is a late Gothic structure built over the remains of a previous Romanesque building, considered one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in the South Tyrol.

Former Capuchin convent – It is now the home of the Civic Museum and the Civic Library. A bit farther ahead are the Church of the Cappuccini and the Chapel of Loreto, also part of the Capuchin convent complex.

Branzoll Castle – Located on the west bank of the river, along the path that leads to Sabiona, the present building is the result of a rebuilding occured between the end of the nineteenth century and 1930. It remains only the tower.

Convent of Sabiona – The monastery, which was completed in 1686, stands with the Church of the Convent and the Church of Santa Croce over the ruins of a previous complex destroyed by fire in 1533. In the direction of the castle there is the Church of Nostra Signora. 

To taste

Wine, Speck and typical Tyrolean cold cuts

Knödel (also known as canederli) – A kind of large boiled dumpling commonly found in Central European and East European cuisine.

Goulasch – It is a typical Ungarian cooking dish, a soup made with meat, lard, onions, carrots, potatoes and paprika.

Pork loin with sauerkraut

Strudel – The most typical sweet of the region, a dessert of thin pastry rolled up round a fruit filling and baked.

To enjoy

Törggelen – Derived from the Latin “torculum” (wine press), this tradition began in the Valle Isarco of the Dolomites. This festival hosts a little Crafts market and a parade with the coronation of the Törggelen queen. During the event, the farmhouse taverns of the village serve their own wine and regional dishes.