Udine, Between Art and Tajùt
Tajùt, ordered in a Friulian tavern is one of the deepest, traditional and characteristic mores, of what is known as one of the most mysterious regions of Italy. As a matter of fact, each person in Friuli has the habitude to whet the appetite in the hours that precede lunch or dinner with a glass of wine sipped with some taste of Friulian delicacies. Particularly, tajùt is often accompanied by canapés or bread sticks with persut crûd (Parma ham, rigorously San Daniele, cut into thin slices) and with some toc di formadi (cheese chips, often “stravecchio”). Meatballs or slices of cotechino (typical sausage) accompanied by traditional grilled polenta, are also very frequent.
10 THINGS TO DO IN UDINE
1. BEGIN THE CITY TOUR STARTING FROM THE CASTLE, which dominates the historic center of the city from a hill 138 meters high. Immersed in a large green park, houses since 1906, the municipal museums of the city: numismatic and archaeological museum, picture gallery, Museum of the Risorgimento and the Friulian Museum of Photography.
2. ADMIRE TIEPOLO’S ART WORKS PRESERVED IN THE CATHEDRAL OF UDINE, dedicated since 1735 to Santa Maria Annunziata and built in 1236.
3. VISIT CASA CAVAZZINI, THE MUSEUM OF MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY ART, an exhibition space located on two floors, renovated by Gae Aulenti, which collects more than 4.000 works including paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings.
4. STAND BETWEEN THE LOGGIAS AND THE ARCADES OF PIAZZA LIBERTÀ, a Gothic and Renaissance gem. From here, in just a few minutes walk you arrive to Piazza Matteotti, with arcades, the shops, the tables of the outdoor bars and to the arcades of the elegant and medieval via Mercatovecchio, that is the shopping street.
5. SPEND AN AFTERNOON IN THE NATURE PARK CORMOR, the park of the Friuli region par excellence, which stretches northwest of the city center for about 30 hectares of meadows, forests, picnic and children's games areas.
6. HAVE A DRINK WITH THE HISTORICAL SPRITZ AT CAFFÈ CONTARENA (via Cavour, 1), one of the most beloved bars of Udine, perhaps for the ability to evoke an atmosphere suspended in time, distant and with an elegant flavor. With a liberty soul, such as an American bar, a bit like a wine shop, it has established itself as an official meeting place for young people, who meet here for the first spritz of the day.
7. MAKE A RESERVATION AT OSTERIA CADIBON (via Nazionale - San Giovanni Al Natisone), a small house in the Udine province where you can taste typical dishes paired with wines from Friuli Farm Cadibon. Always available with hand-sliced San Daniele Parma ham, fresh and seasoned cheeses and local cold cuts.
8. REVIVE TRADITIONS BY EATING AT OSTERIA AL VECCHIO STALLO (via Viola, 7). The cuisine, the house wine by the carafe, the figures who frequent it, the family run and also prices, are all reasons to worth going.
9. DRINK A GOOD GLASS AT TAVERNA DELL’ANGELO (via Lovaria, 3) where, among walls covered with whiskey bottles and furniture salvaged from old ships, We drink the best American Northeast accompanied by an amatriciana sandwich, with spicy salami and tomato.
10. STAY IN THE COUNTRYSIDE IN FARMHOUSES WHICH SURROUND THE PROVINCE OF UDINE. Among these, we suggest Agriturismo La Sclusa (via Strada Sant'Anna 7/2 - Spessa di Cividale), Agriturismo Te Cort (via Ippolito Nievo 5 , Frazione Prestento - Torreano di Cividale) and Agriturismo Conte Ottelio (via Torricelle, 12 - Pradamano)