Rovigo, City of Art and Poetry
Set between the Adige, at north, and Canalbianco, at south, and capital of the province of Polesine, The Venetian town is located not far from the border with Emilia-Romagna and it extends on a plain territory, embroidered by countless artificial canals. The result is a fertile land, verdant, where water is the fundamental element and where the magical landscape was created, with floral and animal species of great charm. A precious witness of how man, with hard work, sweat and love, has learned to live with a disruptive nature without altering its balance.
9 THINGS TO DO IN ROVIGO
1. HAVE A WALK BETWEEN THE BUILDINGS OF PIAZZA VITTORIO EMANUELE II, the main square is both the ancient and modern heart of the city, with a trapezoidal shape, dominated by St. Mark’s stone column with the lion and St. Francis Church. Around the square we find the Town Hall and the Academy of Concordi.
2. SEE AN EXHIBITION AT PALAZZO ROVERELLA, an exhibition space that houses the Art Gallery of Concordi and the Episcopal Seminary.
3. ADMIRE ST. STEPHEN’S CATHEDRAL, dating back to 964 A.D., with an interior rich in works of art and an essential exterior brick façade, still unfinished, dominated by the 19th century portal surmounted by a statue.
4. VISIT THE MUSEUM OF THE GREAT RIVERS, a modern and experimental museum for efficient use and disclosure of the archaeological, ethnographic, cultural and environmental heritages of the polesana land, enclosed between the two main Italian rivers, Po and Adige.
5. ADMIRE THE PAINTING DECORATIONS OF THE TEMPLE OF BEATA VERGINE DEL SOCCORSO, also known as La Rotonda (The Round), by virtue of its regular octagonal plan.
6. EXPLORE THE UNEDITED AND SURPRISING LANDSCAPES OF THE REGIONAL NATURE PARK OF THE PO’S DELTA, where various environments stand out, each with unique characteristics: the campaign with paleochannels, fossil dunes, banks, floodplains, fish farms, lagoons and sandbanks.
7. TASTE THE SPECIALTIES OF THE REGIONAL TRADITION AT TAVERNETTA DANTE (corso del Popolo, 212), an historic family run tavern, which stands out for its simple and genuine cuisine which draws to the Venetian tradition. Pasta, as well as focaccia and desserts are strictly made by hand.
8. HAVE BREAKFAST WITH CRAFT PRODUCTS AT PASTICCERIA DOLCI TENTAZIONI (viale Porta Po, 55), which has become overtime a real reference point for lovers of quality products with a pinch of originality.
9. SOJOURN IN NATURE AT AGRITURISMO CORTE CAREZZABELLA (via Marconi, 752 – San Martino di Venezze), agricultural company which, in an old court of the early 20th century, is dedicated to the growing of fruit, vegetables and wine. Corte Carezzabella offers a typical and home cuisine, a comfortable stay with the possibility of many artistic and naturalistic excursions.