Gorizia, The Charm of a Border Town
Thanks to the particular soil fertility, on these slopes has spread a valuable wine-growing, that represents a strong source to tourist attraction: wine lovers can visit wine cellars provided with cozy tasting rooms and, at times, small wine museums, inns, farmhouses. Point of reference for wine tourists are local companies which offer tours and itineraries dedicated to the discovery of Collio's and the city’s cellars and wine-gastronomic, cultural and landscape treasures. Various events, then, offer a pretext to deepen the knowledge of wine and the territory. The last weekend in September, for example, Gorizia hosts “Gusti di Frontiera” (border tastes), an event that transforms the town into a bridge amongst cultures at the table, offering the best of the varied production of the twenty regions of the Belpaese.
10 THINGS TO DO IN GORIZIA
1. START THE TOUR OF THE CITY FROM PIAZZA CAVOUR, which is overlooked by the 16th century City House, the House of Ungrispach, in Late Gothic style, amongst the oldest houses in town, and the palace of the Provincial States.A stone's throw from here stands the Duomo.
2. BEING WIND BY THE CHARM OF GORIZIA’S MEDIEVAL CASTLE, located on the height that overlooks the town, from which you can enjoy a stunning panoramic view; the fort houses the Medieval Museum of Gorizia.
3. SEE THE CHURCH OF SANT'IGNAZIO, in piazza della Vittoria, a beautiful example of Austrian Baroque.
4. DISCOVER THE GARDEN OF THE AZALEE WITH A GUIDED TOUR, to admire its 500 varieties of azaleas, the rhododendrons, more than 300 kinds of rare roses between ancient and modern, and many other varieties of camellias and magnolias.
5. RETRACE HISTORY INSIDE THE ROOMS OF PALACE CORONINI CRONBERG, that became the site of the Foundation by the will of its last owner, Count Guglielmo Coronini Cronberg. Superb is also the five-hectare English style park that surrounds it.
6. VISIT THE SYNAGOGUE, the most representative building of what was once the Jewish ghetto, within which is the "Museum of Jerusalem on the Isonzo”, illustrating the history of the people of Israel and the Jewish community of Gorizia.
7. BREATH THE ATMOSPHERE OF THE OLD AND DEAR CENTRAL EUROPE AT TRATTORIA ALLA LUNA (via Oberdan, 13) where, among decorations and trinkets falling from the ceiling, hanging on the walls or lying on the furniture, you will find good food and wine from Friuli, Collio, Carso and Slovenia, served by women dressed in clothes of yesteryear.
8. STOP FOR BREAKFAST OR A SNACK AT PASTICCERIA PANIFICIO CENTRALE (via Garibaldi, 4), in the heart of Gorizia, very popular not only for its exquisite sweetness but also for inviting bakery.
9. HAVE A DRINK AT WINE BAR AL CANTUCCIO (via Marconi, 10), friendly place known for good food and wine and cultural proposal. Excellent quality of cheeses and cold cuts that are accompanied by a superb selection of wines.
10. STAY OVERLOOKING THE VINEYARDS AND WOODS IN SAN FLORIANO AT AGRITURISMO PARASCHOS (Bucuie 13/a, San Floriano del Collio), winery that produces handmade high quality wines, respecting nature and the health of consumers.